Imagine waking up to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee Undoubtedly it would seem like heaven. Now imagine waking up to the aroma of coffee fully well knowing that drinking the same will help you lose weight?! Yes, you heard that right! Losing weight is no more a boring process and all you need to do is drink coffee. Read more to know about what types of coffee assist in weight loss and how to go about it.
Weight Gain And Health Issues
We all know that an overweight person tends to have a lot more health complications in comparison to a lean person. Being overweight can disrupt our metabolism, meddle with our hormones, adversely affect the various organs inside of our body, make our daily activities difficult to carry about, so on n so forth. You will always notice that diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart diseases, etc. are not unknown to a fat person. This is because the excess fat in our body leads to inflammation which in turn gives rise to other serious health risks. More often, the quality of life of an overweight person will be much less as opposed to that of a healthy, leaner person. They can also have sleep issues and end up becoming victims of anxiety and depression. So, it is best to maintain an optimal weight to avoid health complications in the future.
Factors That Lead To Weight Gain
Among the many factors that lead to weight gain, the 2 most leading ones are lack of physical activity and binge eating. That, coupled with lack of exercise is a major cause leading to health deterioration later on. Other factors in this list are:
- Genetics of an individual
- The tendency to over-eat even when one feels full.
- Certain hormonal imbalances.
- Side effects of prescription medicines.
- Ease of access to junk food.
- Mind-meddling advertisements and too many bargains on junk/processed food.
- An addiction to aerated drinks.
- Increased consumption of sugary food.
- The socioeconomic status of an individual.
- Lack of awareness.
- Resorting to eating to ease one’s emotional distress.
Coffee For Weight Loss – Truth or Myth
Coffee is one of the most sought-after morning beverages the world over, and once a person wakes up after a good night’s sleep their day just won’t start right unless they have had their satisfying cuppa coffee. Not only does coffee help to awaken one’s senses but it also leaves the person feeling energized and ready to face the day. Not many may know but coffee also promotes weight loss and this is an interesting fact to learn of. Nutrients like antioxidants, potassium, and niacin present in coffee are known to improve metabolism and improve the functioning of muscles. Various studies have concluded that caffeine in coffee is good for health when taken in moderation. Not only does it improve energy levels but also helps to reduce appetite. Caffeine also boosts metabolic activities and thereby helps in burning fat as it helps to increase BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate, which determines the calories lost when a person rests.
Types Of Coffee For Weight Loss
Since we know that coffee is a safe and enjoyable bet when it comes to losing weight, let us take a look at some types of coffee that will help serve this purpose at its best:
- Dark Roasted Coffee – although most people tend to take a disliking to the strong burned flavor that they get from this variant of coffee, dark roasted coffee is said to promote weight loss as it contains N-methyl pyridinium. It is also loaded with health benefits as it protects the liver, brain as well as prevents the risk of certain cancers. It is rich in vitamins and minerals aplenty and contains a surplus of vitamin B5 helping the body derive energy from food. Brew your dark roast beans to make the perfect espresso. For best flavors use the freshest coffee you can grab hold of and not aged ones.
- Black coffee – if you are looking to lose weight then having black coffee is the best option as it is calorie-deficit. Your regular coffee with added sweeteners and creamer will not serve the purpose of weight loss for it is loaded with calories. Apart from helping to lose weight, black coffee boosts our energy levels and it also acts as a natural pain reliever. It is also nutrient-enriched. An interesting recipe for black coffee to lose weight is, add to a cup 1 tsp black coffee powder. To this add enough hot water. Stir it well and then add 1 tsp flaxseed powder(optional). Give it a good stir, add some dark chocolate shavings as topping and enjoy.
- Green coffee – green coffee prepared using whole coffee beans is fast growing as a popular choice of beverage for those looking to lose weight as it contains chlorogenic acid. It is known to reduce bad cholesterol levels, boost metabolism and in turn burn fat at a much faster rate. The plus point is that green coffee is said to be good for the skin and hair as well. Wash first and then soak the green coffee beans in enough water that you would need to prepare the green coffee. Boil the beans in this water for at least 10 minutes. Keep stirring. Turn off the flame and let the coffee beans sit in the water for another 10-15 minutes. Filter the coffee using a sieve and enjoy your green coffee. Regular consumption is recommended for weight loss.
- Organic coffee – as in all cases, to ensure that drinking coffee assists in weight loss, it is always good to go for the organic version. Since organic coffee does not contain any adulterants it is safe for consumption in the long run. Organic coffee that aids in fat burn, promotes detoxification, and helps to reduce sugar cravings is the kind you need to look out for. Read the label before purchasing your coffee powder to ensure it is sourced right. Slightly warm about 1 cup coconut cream in a saucepan, add 1 tsp coconut oil, vanilla extract about 3 drops, and a pinch of powdered cinnamon. In a cup add brewed organic black coffee, add the coconut cream mixture and stir gently. Add natural sweetener or drink as it is.
Benefits of Losing Weight
Losing weight has various health benefits. Listed below are some of those:
- The person feels a new sense of confidence and experiences an energy level like never before.
- It leads to improved metabolism, improved sleep, and works as a mood uplifter.
- Helps to bring back to normal the blood sugar readings of a diabetic person.
- Helps to improve both heart and brain health.
- Weight loss aids in reducing the risk of stroke.
- It helps to get rid of joint-aches, muscle aches, etc. associated with being overweight.
- Increases sex drive.
- Improves overall quality of one’s life.
Just as with all weight loss techniques, drinking coffee for weight loss should also be done consistently but don’t go overboard with it. Drink only 1-2 cups of coffee through the day. Make sure to avoid store-bought creamers and sugars. Alongside this, consume a balanced diet and make it a habit to exercise regularly. Take pride in losing those kgs in the right yet enjoyable way.